Fourth Wall Films
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"A Senseless Act"

Go down

"A Senseless Act" Empty "A Senseless Act"

Post  admin 6/2/2011, 8:48 pm

A Senseless Act

Makana Greenwell- THE BATTLE AX

Steph Drake- SUGAR

Emily Elzea- BUTTERCUP

???- MR HITMAN

Sophia- DAUGHTER, 7

Ari- SON, 7

Ext. backyard Early Morning

We see the sun barely coming up through unkempt fruit trees and touch the wet shaggy grass. We hear two dogs panting and see one fetch a ball. Dog returns ball to SUGAR. We see the back of her, dressed in work clothes, boots Carharts, and smoking a cigarette. She is playing fetch with the two dogs. She picks up the ball and throws it again. Dog returns.

SUGAR

Good girl.

She pats the dog still holding the ball, turns around and walks towards the house. She climbs the porch steps and just before entering she stubs the cigarette out in an overflowing coca-cola can.

---

Ext. In front of lions Club morning

We see a nondescript Lion's Club lounge in an old building. A black Jaguar pulls in front abruptly and MR HITMAN steps out the driver's side door.

MR HITMAN

I swear after this I'm never coming back to this shithole.

---

Int. Lions Club bar morning

We see MR HITMAN walk into the building and turn toward the stairs. In the hall there is a shady looking couple standing close and whispering to each other, they both silently smile and nod at MR HITMAN as he walks by. He returns the gesture. He heads down the stairs and another person makes the same gesture and he hands the guy his coat. MR HITMAN scans the room and locks in on a girl cleaning behind the bar. He walks towards her and gets close before she notices.

MR HITMAN

Hello princess...

BUTTERCUP

(startled) Sorry sir, oh...

Acknowledging him, she pauses, puts both hands on her hips, and glares.

BUTTERCUP

(slowly) Boss says we're closed.

MR Hitman

You don't look very closed.

BUTTERCUP

Look, boss says we're closed, so we're closed, get it? If you wanna wait outside with the rest of the sad old washups, you can come in at 12:00, when we're open. Until then I'm not really interested or obligated to drown your sorrow, OK?

Approaching the bar, MR HITMAN takes off his gloves and sets them on the bar. He reaches over and grabs a bottle, unscrews it and nearly drinks straight from it when BUTTERCUP throws a shot glass at him. He catches it and coolly pours him self a shot, he puts the glass up in a toast-

MR HITMAN

To freedom!

He takes the shot-

MR HITMAN

Now is that any way to talk to your old partner? Your friend? Besides, you never know when there might be a change of management. Could happen today.

The HITMAN pulls out a short black rose from his breast pocket and hands it to BUTTERCUP. She studies it as if she were reading it-

MR HITMAN

It's happening. Me and Sugar got it all sorted. The Battle Ax is going down and there is nothing you can do about it.

BUTTERCUP looks up glaring, still holding the rose.

BUTTERCUP

I told you I wanted nothing to do with this.

MR HITMAN

And I told you I didn't care.

BUTTERCUP

No one around here wants anything to do with this. You and Sugar are on your own with this one. So if you don't wanna keep your head down and act like a good little worker bee, you better just buzz off.

MR HITMAN pours himself another shot and reaches into his breast pocket again, this time producing a tip which he lays casually on the bar. He puts his gloves back on, takes the shot and turns to leave. Automatically one of the goons hands him his jacket. He puts in on and says.

MR HITMAN

Still worrying about me? Isn't that sweet. Well don't you fret princess, I've still got friends. Give your boss my regards. If he ever comes back, tell him I wish him and the lovely Misses and rug-rats all the best.

---

INT. Bathroom/hall/kitchen

The BATTLE AX is in a small bathroom brushing her teeth. We hear an electric toothbrush and water rushing. We see her examaning herself. She leaves the bathroom. We move through the hall and see wedding photos on the wall. We see the BATTLE AX in a wedding gown smiling next to her husband and various photos of her with her bride's maid, BUTTERCUP, and the groom with the best man, MR HITMAN. We hear morning news and kids chatting with each other as she enters the kitchen where SOPHIA and ARI are eating breakfast. She is rushing around, putting SOFIA's backpack together- lunch, books etc. We see her reach for coffee, take out electric toothbrush, gulp a few swings, and return the toothbrush to her mouth. She walks back into the bathroom, rinses and replaces the toothbrush. She checks her reflection, fixes her hair and turns to holler out the door.

BATTLE AX

All right! Is everyone finishing their breakfast? Sophia, make sure Bo-bo eats.

She walks into the kitchen where SOPHIA is standing at attention holding her backpack. ARI is wearing a pair of his moms high-heeled shoes and holding her purse.

BATTLE AX

(laughing) Oh, good! Everybody's ready!

---

EXT. Driveway

We hear dogs panting excitedly. SUGAR is loading tools into an old Ford pickup, dogs pace back and forth anxiously. They jump in back and we see SUGAR's face as she backs out the driveway.

----

EXT. Ford pickup

SUGAR is smoking and driving slowly down a country road. Through the cracked windshield we see the MR HITMAN walking down the side of road away from the black Jaguar. She stops the Truck. He gets in. We hear the door slam shut.

SUGAR

I'd say "good morning" but, you know...

MR HITMAN

It would be sort of inappropriate. Considering.

SUGAR

So... I take it Buttercup isn't coming on board?

MR HITMAN

You know she's isn't. You also know you don't really need to know anything. Putting the Battle Ax in the basement is all we're concerning ourselves with.

SUGAR

Well, mornin' to you too sir.

---

INT. Front of BATTLE AX's house

We see the front porch of a big modern cookie-cutter house. There are bikes and toys strewn about the lawn. We hear footsteps before we see the MR HITMAN walking down the sidewalk toward the front door. He lurks around the house before stopping at a window and looking in. He looks around and pulls out a gun.

---

INT/EXT LION's CLUB/truck/kitchen/front door

We hear light strumming on an acoustic guitar and soft humming. We see BUTTERCUP working, smiling and talking to customers. The screen spits and we see SUGAR driving down the country road. The screen spits again and now we see the BATTLE AX chasing her son around as he parades in her shoes. We see the MR HITMAN's hand on the doorknob and the gun in his other hand. Then he opens the door and points the gun at the BATTLE AX. The guitar stops and we hear silence. The BATTLE AX drops to the floor and MR HITMAN runs out the door. We see the open door and the MR HITMAN running down the street and get into the old Ford.

---

EXT Drive to cemetery

On the street of an older neighborhood. We see SUGAR step into the driver's side of a black Jaguar. BUTTERCUP and MR HITMAN get in back. They are also dressed in funeral attire. The car pulls away. We see SUGAR driving, and BUTTERCUP and MR HITMAN silently looking out the window as they ride to the cemetery.

----

EXT. At the cemetery

SUGAR, BUTTERCUP and MR HITMAN stand in a line several meters in front of a headstone. MR HITMAN has his hands in his pockets. BUTTERCUP wipes a tear, she is holding a bouquet of white flowers all white with one black rose in the middle. SUGAR is filing her nails and looking bored. BUTTERCUP approaches the grave and plucks out the black rose and lays it on the headstone. SUGAR throws the nail file behind her and approaches the headstone. She fixes her eyes on it and then makes the sign of the cross, and quickly walks away. MR HITMAN remains after the two girls walk past him. He blows a kiss.

----

INT. White void

SOPHIA and ARI are seated on the floor of an all black empty room. They are dressed in white and seem to be glowing. On the floor there is a childrens' book of ABCs. SOPHIA is teaching ARI to write letters. ARI's is paying attention. She continues for a few moments before looking into the camera.

SOPHIA

Mommy's gone, so I'm teaching baby to read.

fin

admin
Admin

https://fourthwallfilms.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum